Surviving Moving Day with a Toddler Solo

After living without our things for 4 months, our move finally arrived in Seoul! Sam's dad was away when our goods were set to arrive so I would be receiving and managing the move solo. (Unfortunately solo seems to be a growing trend!) In true form I over-thought the situation and considered every aspect of the day. Mother nature decided to throw me a curve ball (I took it as a challenge) and a typhoon was thrown into the mix of moving day. Although the typhoon hit, we were able to receive our household goods and survived, even with a power outage midway through the move. Here are some things that worked for me.

1. Number the Rooms: I placed numbers on each of the doors of the house. I then made corresponding cards that I could easily hold one handed. Whenever a piece of furniture came in that needed to go into a certain room I simply showed the moving crew the number of the room. Thankfully the numbering system completely took the need for translation out of the equation. In hind sight I wish I would have made an extra set for Sam to hold. Once she saw how important these cards were she wanted to hold them. -Insert Toddler Tantrum Here-

2. Create a Toddler Safe Space: Surly this will depend on the house but can be a pack-n-play or a room. I designated the room closest to the front door. I set up a little TV and rented Elmo videos from our local library. I also bought Sam a new book and some construction paper and stickers. I wanted a few novel activities to hold her attention when needed. I also set up her baby monitor to watch her so I could close the door, run outside or upstairs to direct the movers or check on different situations. Although this idea worked out wonderfully when we fist started the move, once the Typhoon hit and we lost power I ended up loosing my babysitter, Elmo. Also without the ability to watch her on the baby monitor I ended up just wearing her for the rest of the day.

3. Pick a Carrier: For the time Sam was awake, I wore her around in a mesh sling. It was nice and cool and it allowed her to sit on my hip and face forward. She was very interested in everything that was going on. When she started to tire I put on the Ergo and rocked her to sleep. She was able to happily sleep through the commotion being happily snuggled up with mommy.  Wearing her also allowed me to discretely nurse her as I zipped between movers and boxes. Speaking of food...
4. Pack a Lunch: Although the movers were extremely efficient the Typhoon and the power outage dragged our move on for the majority of the day. Our kitchen quickly filled with boxes and finding a glass to drink from was a struggle. Thankfully the night before I had pre-made some snacks for Sam. I also packed myself and her a lunch. This made snacking throughout the move and making sure we were both feed a decent lunch a breeze.

5. Speak Up: Doing anything solo is a challenge and adding extra duties to my already packed day was a non negotiable. The movers had asked that I collect inventory stickers from the boxes as they came in. I took one look at the lead mover, Sam, and then shook my head. There was no way I was going to be able to run around chasing stickers and take care of Sam and direct the furniture and boxes. I gave the lead mover a piece of paper and stuck it to the front of the door. I asked him to instruct his team to remove all stickers from the boxes as they brought them in and place them on the paper. Then at the end of the day I could simply check the stickers to the list of inventoried items. No fuss, no stress. No one likes change and asking for things to be done differently can sometimes feel uncomfortable but at times speaking up is worth it! Save your sanity, ask for what you need! 


Now that the majority of our things have been unpacked and put away we can head back out and explore! More blog posts to come!

Comments

  1. Wow! Sounds like you have the moving thing down pat. When my husband and I moved we saved up so we could hire long distance movers. And thankfully we did, since it was a bunch of combining "his" and "hers" things we had a lot more "stuff" than imaginable. Thanks for sharing your story and hints.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment